Monday, June 2, 2008

Laying Kyle to Rest

Goodbye Sergeant John Kyle Daggett.

He passed away on May 15th from injuries sustained while fighting the war in Iraq. My family and I are here in Washington DC for my cousin Kyle's burial service at Arlington Cemetery. It was a beautiful day and his graveside ceremony was really powerful. He is now laid to rest where he wanted to be--here at Arlington Cemetery.

A long string of black limos picked us up at the hotel (where family and friends from all over the country have taken 30 rooms) at 8:15am. After a beautiful speech by a decorated General about what an extraordinary soldier
Kyle was, the General presented Jack and Colleen (Kyle's parents) with not only the purple heart medal (which is given to soldiers wounded in war), but also the bronze star medal (awarded for bravery, acts of merit, or meritorious service).

The below videos show his casket being removed from the hearse and the 21 gun salute, as well as part of Taps. The music: Tim McGraw's If You're Reading This

It was a very emotional day, but it was beautiful and I hope everyone--somehow--will now begin to heal.

Goodbye Kyle. We love you. God speed.








3 comments:

Dipstick said...

May he rest in peace and may these God-awful wars end soon.

Anonymous said...

You've all been on my mind all day today. I tried to sense the time in Phoenix that you would all be gathered at Arlington. I prayed for you because I know how unbelievably difficult this has been for everyone. My heart cries out for you knowing how painful it is to say goodbye to Kyle. You've given him such an honorable service and I don't think there will be a day that goes by that I won't think of my freedom and be thankful for Kyle & all who lie next to him. Thankful to all those who willingly continue to serve. May God bless you all and may his love and healing grace shine down upon you in the difficult days to come.

Family friends,

Tracy, Tyler & Erin

Anonymous said...

It was an honor to attend the services in Scottsdale for
Sergeant John Kyle Daggett.


Patriot Guard Riders Arizona